Civil-War - Most Popular All-Time
One of the cannon near the visitor's center, overlooking State Route 65 (Sharpsburg Pike)...
Poffenberger Farm - Union General Joe Hooker occupied this farmhouse the evening prior to the battle.  Skirmishers placed by Hooker in the nearby North Woods were the first engaged in the battle...
The main house, built in 1825 by Jacob & Sarah Bushong.  The cadets had to divide their ranks to pass the house while the nervous residents waited out the battle in the cellar...
Bushong Farm - The Bushong Farm was established in 1791 by Henry Bushong.  It was later inhereted by his son, Jacob.  By the time of the Civil War the farm encompassed 260 acres and included the main house and barn, the original farmhouse, a summer kitchen, an ice house, meat & loom house, blacksmith shop, wheelwright shop, and a hen house (all of which have been restored)...
Union Campgrounds
Lehigh Valley Civil War Days
Lehigh Valley Civil War Days
11:00 AM, May 15, 1864 - The battle was joined near the site of the current visitors center.  Here, Confederate soldiers began their attack against the Union lines to the north...
12:30 PM, May 15, 1864 - The town of New Market lies about a mile east of the battlefield and was cleared of Union forces by this time.  The Union troops fell back to a stronger position atop Bushong's Hill...
The advancing cadet's began to come under small arms fire as they approached the Bushong Farm.  Here the cadets split briefly with each half passing the home to the right and left side before reforming on the opposite side...
North Woods - 5:30am - Union and Confederate forces first clashed here, at the North Woods near the Poffenberger Farm.  Union forces of the First Corps advanced north from this position towrds Jackson's lines on the far side of a neighboring cornfield...
The Dunker Church (ca. 1852) was built by a local German Baptist Brethren congregation.  The church was a major focal point for commanders of both sides during the battle.  Heavily damaged during the battle, the church was quickly repaired and services were held here until the beginning of the 20th Century...    Dunker Church after the battle.
Julia Sprigg House (ca. 1851) - This small home was purchased by Mrs. Sprigg in 1853.  Julia was a close friend of Mrs. Lincoln and occasionally she, or her daughter, babysat the Lincoln boys.
One of the cannon near the visitor's center, overlooking State Route 65 (Sharpsburg Pike)...

Edit caption:


Save Cancel
One of the cannon near the visitor's center, overlooking State Route 65 (Sharpsburg Pike)...
One of the cannon near the visitor's center, overlooking State Route 65 (Sharpsburg Pike)...

Edit caption:


Save Cancel
Photo by: Dan Weemhoff (dwhike) · See photo in original gallery.

Comments

|