Civil-War - Most Popular All-Time
Henson Lyon House (ca. 1850's) - In 1860 this house was occupied by Henson Lyon and his family.  Mr. Lyon at the time was a retired farmer and land speculator and was fairly wealthy.
Harriett Dean House (ca. 1850's) - Mrs. Dean purchased this property from Lincoln in 1850.  She was a widower with only one son who lived in St. Louis, Missouri.
-186
One of the cannon near the visitor's center, overlooking State Route 65 (Sharpsburg Pike)...
Poffenberger Farm - Union General Joe Hooker occupied this farmhouse the evening prior to the battle.  Skirmishers placed by Hooker in the nearby North Woods were the first engaged in the battle...
North Woods - 5:30am - Union and Confederate forces first clashed here, at the North Woods near the Poffenberger Farm.  Union forces of the First Corps advanced north from this position towrds Jackson's lines on the far side of a neighboring cornfield...
The Dunker Church (ca. 1852) was built by a local German Baptist Brethren congregation.  The church was a major focal point for commanders of both sides during the battle.  Heavily damaged during the battle, the church was quickly repaired and services were held here until the beginning of the 20th Century...    Dunker Church after the battle.
Our tour began at the visitors center...
The visitor's center houses an impressive collection of firearms...
A lone cannon guarding the grounds outside the visitor's center...
Bloody Pond marked the site of some of the more ferocious fighting between Wilder's Brigade and the Confederates so we decided to walk the short path for a closer look...
Snodgrass Cabin - This reconstruction depicts the 1863 home of the Snodgrass family.  It's located near the top of Snodgrass Hill, scene of the defiant stand by Union troops late on September 20, 1863.  After the battle it served as a field hospital...
Mary's Bedroom - Common for the time period, Abraham and Mary slept in separate bedrooms.  According to our guide this was as much to do with Lincoln working many late nights as it was to privacy...
The Kid's Room - This is where the four Lincoln boys would spend their nights, across the hall from their parents.
Old Illinois State House (ca. 1837-40) - The Old Illinois State House served as the official state house from 1840-1876 after which it served as the Sangamon County Courthouse until 1966.  Lincoln had an important role in moving the state capitol to the town of Springfield and served his final term as State Representative from 1840-41.  The old capitol building is open to the public and guided tours are available for those who want a more in-depth experience.
Henson Lyon House (ca. 1850's) - In 1860 this house was occupied by Henson Lyon and his family. Mr. Lyon at the time was a retired farmer and land speculator and was fairly wealthy.

Edit caption:


Save Cancel
Henson Lyon House (ca. 1850's) - In 1860 this house was occupied by Henson Lyon and his family.  Mr. Lyon at the time was a retired farmer and land speculator and was fairly wealthy.
Henson Lyon House (ca. 1850's) - In 1860 this house was occupied by Henson Lyon and his family. Mr. Lyon at the time was a retired farmer and land speculator and was fairly wealthy.

Edit caption:


Save Cancel
Photo by: Dan Weemhoff (dwhike) · See photo in original gallery.

Comments

|