HistoricalPlaces - Page 4

Recent Galleries

Hancock House - Hancock's Bridge, NJ : Built c. 1734 for Judge William and Sarah Hancock, the house features a blue glazed brick pattern, which gives the year of construction, 1734, and the initials of the couple for whom it was built, 'W S' for William and Sarah. William died in 1762, and passed the house to his son William, also a judge.

Loyalist troops from the Queen's Rangers crossed Alloway Creek on the morning of March 21, 1778, entered the house and surprised members of the local militia stationed within. Their leader, John Graves Simcoe, was ordered to "spare no one". Hence 20 to 30 individuals were reported killed. Hancock was among the slain.

The structure is maintained by the State of New Jersey and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hancock House - Hancock's Bridge, NJ

keyphoto

Built c. 1734 for Judge William and Sarah Hancock, the house features ...

Updated: Aug 07, 2012 11:00am PST

Hofwyl Black History Celebration 2012 : Black History Celebration at Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation presented by Hofwyl-Broadfield and the Friends of Hofwyl-Broadfield. Festivities included The Darien Geechee Shouters demonstrating the Southern Ring Shout, Coastal Youth Theatre of Voices bringing us beautiful singing, Braima Moiwai and his friends bringing high energy drumming and entertainment including his "three stone open-fire  one pot rice dish", and a special presentation by Will Burdell presenting his "Images of the Geechee People and their Culture". This was the best Black History Celebration at Hofwyl to date and was extremely well attended by the community. Make sure you don't miss next year's Celebration! (I hope to post images from folks who were there before I could arrive.) IMAGES WITH NO COMMENT BENEATH THEM ARE COURTESY OF STEPHANIE GILES!!!!

Hofwyl Black History Celebration 2012

Troup Nightingale

Black History Celebration at Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation presented by ...

Updated: Aug 06, 2012 12:35pm PST

The Thicket 2012 - McIntosh County : The Thicket in McIntosh County as it was in 2012. This is an historical area from the slave days in McIntosh County, Georgia. It was built by the Carnochan family. I photo-documented the site in 2001 before the housing development began and then again in 2006. It contains slave houses and a set of distillery ruins.

The Thicket 2012 - McIntosh County

Troup Nightingale

The Thicket in McIntosh County as it was in 2012. This is an historica ...

Updated: Aug 04, 2012 3:51pm PST

Needwood Church 01-20-12 : Needwood Baptist Church - Church built for the ex-Slaves of Broadfield Plantation near Brunswick, Georgia in Glynn County 01-20-12

Needwood Church 01-20-12

Troup Nightingale

Needwood Baptist Church - Church built for the ex-Slaves of Broadfield ...

Updated: Aug 04, 2012 2:20pm PST

Old Bethpage Village Restoration, Bethpage NY July 22, 2012 : The Old Bethpage Village Restoration is a 209-acre recreated living museum village in Old Bethpage, New York.[1] The village opened in 1970 with dozens of historic structures that had been saved from demolition by Nassau County. Costumed actors provide demonstrations of 19th century life. Major funding cuts by the county in the early 1990s led to reduced availability and increasing deterioration. It is the site of the annual Long Island Fair.

The village came into existence in 1963, when Nassau County acquired the Powell property, a 165-acre farm located on the Nassau-Suffolk border. According to notes written on the county's 1959 master plan, the site originally was planned to become the Nassau County Zoo.

Old Bethpage Village Restoration, Bet...

Demado917

The Old Bethpage Village Restoration is a 209-acre recreated living mu ...

Updated: Jul 30, 2012 12:55pm PST

Rhydymwyn Valley Works : The once secret Ministry of Supply, World War II and Cold War chemical warefare and government storage site which was also used for preliminary research into nuclear weapons as part of the Tube Alloys Project. <br />
Now operated as a controlled access nature reserve and historical site by Rhydymwyn History Society.

Rhydymwyn Valley Works

John Luxton

The once secret Ministry of Supply, World War II and Cold War chemical ...

Updated: Jul 29, 2012 9:37am PST

Steamer Clinton Chief 1875 : This horse drawn fire wagon served the Wilmington Fire Department from 1875 until it was replaced in 1921 by a motorized apparatus.  It is on display at the Wilmington Fire Hall in Wilmington, Ohio.

Steamer Clinton Chief 1875

L Perry Fuqua (perryfuquaphotos)

This horse drawn fire wagon served the Wilmington Fire Department from ...

Updated: Jul 16, 2012 10:12am PST

Hofwyl Christmas Event 2009 : Christmas at Hofwyl 12-05-09 - House Decorations by area clubs, Civil War Encampment, Period Actors, Cannon and Musket Firings!

Hofwyl Christmas Event 2009

Troup Nightingale

Christmas at Hofwyl 12-05-09 - House Decorations by area clubs, Civil ...

Updated: May 15, 2012 1:23pm PST

Sugar Grove Cemetery, Wilmington, Ohio : "The Sugar Grove Cemetery Association was formed in 1857 by a group of civic-minded Clinton Countians who saw the pressing need to develop a centralized location for burying the dead - a place that essentially would eliminate the nearly 100 small, often neglected burial sites scattered throughout the county in churchyards, backyards, barnyards, hillsides, cornfields and woodsy coves.  

The Association bought 23 acres on the west side of Wilmington and hired nurseryman Leo Weltz, a 33-year-old Prussian-born landscape gardener, to lay out a cemetery on the pretty piece of land.  He started his work on March 5, 1858, and just a few months later the rugged, big-hearted German with an encyclopedic knowledge of horticulture unveiled Sugar Grove, with its hundreds of varieties of trees and plants, gracefully winding drives, and wide grassy spaces.  Those who entered the peaceful, lush, welcoming grounds felt the full effect of Mr. Weltz's philosophy of landscape design: There is no melancholy in nature.

Sugar Grove Cemetery was dedicated on August 28, 1958, and in the years since has become a community unto itself.  there have been 14,600 interments, including 1,643-plus veterans; special areas have been formally designated for Civil War soldiers, children, charity cases, and pets; mausoleums have been built; a monument to the veterans of all wars has been erected; and 94 additional acres have been purchased for lots.  Sugar Grove resonates with the varied stories of its residents, and with the vision of a remarkable man who transplanted the aesthetics of European royal gardens to Wilmington, Ohio." - from the brochure titled "Historic Sugar Grove Cemetery" published by the the Sugar Grove Cemetery Association

Sugar Grove Cemetery, Wilmington, Ohio

L Perry Fuqua (perryfuquaphotos)

"The Sugar Grove Cemetery Association was formed in 1857 by a group of ...

Updated: May 08, 2012 9:43am PST

LeConte's Woodmanston Rice Plantation & Botanical Garden : LeConte's Woodmanston Rice Plantation and Botanical Garden near Riceboro, Georgia - est. 1760 - Largest 18th Century Rice Plantation in Liberty County - please go to the website http://www.leconte-woodmanston.org

LeConte's Woodmanston Rice Plantation...

Troup Nightingale

LeConte's Woodmanston Rice Plantation and Botanical Garden near Ricebo ...

Updated: Apr 05, 2012 10:20am PST