UK Railways - Page 33

 Lucky you! It's a new day - go vote for your favorite photos!

Recent Galleries

Ipswich to Lowestoft :

Ipswich to Lowestoft

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jul 20, 2014 6:16am PST

Ely to Norwich :

Ely to Norwich

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jul 20, 2014 5:37am PST

Ipswich to Felixstowe : Brief history of the line.

The line to Felixstowe had its beginnings on November 30th 1874, when a local landowner Colonel George Tomline of the Felixstowe Railway and Pier Company put forward plans to build a line from a terminus at Westerfield Station on the East Suffolk line to a terminus at Felixstowe Pier. The plans were approved and the line opened on 1st May 1877 with stations at Westerfield, Derby Road, Orwell, Felixstowe Beach and Felixstowe Pier. 
On 1st September 1879 the Great Eastern Railway took over operation of the line and on 5th July 1887 bought the line from what was now The Felixstowe Dock and Railway Company.
On 1st May 1891 The G.E.R. opened a new station at Trimley and in November of the same year built a second platform and passing loop at Derby Road. The station originally only had the current down platform.
The G.E.R then built a new station at Felixstowe, the now Felixstowe Town station which opened on July 1st 1898.

Closure dates.

1951 July 2nd:-  Felixstowe Pier closed.
1955 June:- Orwell Station closed.
1959 January:- Felixstowe sub shed closed, the last engine allocated being Class L1 67710.
1964 July 13th:- Freight facilities withdrawn from Trimley and Westerfield.
1966 December 5th:- Freight facilities withdrawn from Felixstowe Town and Felixstowe Beach.
1967 September 11th:- Felixstowe Beach closed.

Reference:- The Felixstowe Branch. H.I. Quale and G.T. Bradbury. 1978

Ipswich to Felixstowe

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Brief history of the line. The line to Felixstowe had its beginnings ...

Updated: Jul 12, 2014 12:37am PST

Norwich to Liverpool Street. :

Norwich to Liverpool Street.

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jul 07, 2014 11:26am PST

Cambridge-St Ives-March : Timeline:-
Chesterton Junction to St Ives- opened 17th August 1847.
St Ives to March South Junction- opened 1st February 1848.

The fifteen and a half mile line from St Ives to March South Junction closed on 6th March 1967 when freight traffic declined. The passenger service was also recommended for closure in the Beeching Report of 1963. Little trace of this section of the line exists today. Long sections have been converted to road and the various cuttings to landfill. Many thanks to Stewart Ingram for permission to include some of his pictures from the last day of working. The passenger service from St Ives to Cambridge closed on 5th October 1970, but fortunately the line stayed open for freight traffic to Chivers at Histon until 1983 and a long term sand contract from ARC at Fen Drayton ensured the line stayed open until May 1992. This section of the line has been totally destroyed by the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway which opened on 7th August 2011. Here are a few photos to show how it looked in it's final operational days plus a few relics. The line was once a very busy freight route to March, Whitemoor Yard and the Yorkshire coalfields with over 70 workings a day, the line being open all night.

Maps used in this gallery. Ordnance survey- 1" to a mile. Sheet 135 Cambridge and Ely (1954) and Sheet 134 Huntingdon and Peterborough (1954)

Cast Iron   http://www.castiron.org.uk/

Cambridge-St Ives-March

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Timeline:- Chesterton Junction to St Ives- opened 17th August 1847. St ...

Updated: Jul 06, 2014 5:19am PST

Cambridge-Ely- Kings Lynn :

Cambridge-Ely- Kings Lynn

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jun 22, 2014 5:51am PST

East Coast Main Line :

East Coast Main Line

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jun 12, 2014 10:48pm PST

Marks Tey to Sudbury :

Marks Tey to Sudbury

eastanglianrailwayarchive

Updated: Jun 07, 2014 11:34pm PST

Search UK Railways

Featured Galleries