The "DC" Capstone Report. Vanderbilt 2017.
Keys to the game.
1. Vanderbilt impressive in first 3 games.
2. Opponents not so impressive.
3. Kansas state quarterback had good game running against Vandy.
4. Jalen Hurts is the quarterback for Alabame. See above.
5. Vandy uses their strong safties a lot to blitz and to stop the run. Vandy's
safeties are good, but small, and did not tackle well against K.S.U.
6. Bama running backs are big, bigger, and bigger. They are also very fast.
Read point 5 again.
7. Vandy moves around a lot before the snap of the ball, but they basically
play a typical 3/4, 50, and 4/3 scheme. They ignored the short side of the
field last week. They better not this week or we will look like the Bama of
old and run left,left, and left.......
8. Bama did not play well on defense late in the 4th quarter last week. I
personally beleive it was an attempt to get some younger players some
experience. Please listen to the "DC" podcast on the screen. It is on point. Several key defensive players return this week. Bama will rush
more. Vandy quarterback is good. He does not move laterally that
well. Center shotgun snaps were to the wrong side several times. Can you
say Minkah Fitzpatrick? Look for Hand, Payne, and Davis to have a big
game against the Dores. Evans and Holcombe might pick a 6 if Vandy is
not careful with their seemingly unending close to line crossing passing routes.
8. Vanderbilt loved to play action pass out of the I and run out of the spread
last week. Vanderbilt used a lot of disguised picks (can you say Clemson) and they like to go deep to their X receiver.
9. On the goal line Vandy likes to go with tight formations and stack and go jumbo to the strong side of the field. Last week they drug their tight end across the line of scrimmage for a score.
10. Bottom line, Bama is better, ... a lot better, but the Commodores dont know it.........yet. Bama can't let them start to believe. They are well coached, but they have not played a team as powerful as Alabama. I remember watching the great Alabama offensive lineman John Hannah destroy some of the best defensive tackles in the country on the first play of the game. I was told the staff would bet on whether he pancaked the guy across from him, problem was no one would bet against him. He told me the first hit of the game sends a message. Middle Tennessee, Alabama A&M, and Kansas State did not send a strong message. Bama will.
11. Watch for the dreaded wheel route....please.
AlabamaVanderbilt2017footballCBS broadcastgoldeshoresproducitonsJerry HarperBill HyattFerrell Brakefieldgoldenshoresproductions, from
THE SPORTS PAGE