Landmark: Arthur Barnwell House
Location: A few years ago, the house was dismantled and moved from its historic Greenville location (Highway 14 and Pelham Road).
South Carolina Archives and History: (Barnwell-DeCamps House) The Arthur Barnwell House is reputed to have been built between 1880 and 1900 by the Pelham Manufacturing Company as a residence for its first president, Arthur Barnwell, in conjunction with Pelham Mills. The house is significant for its association with the development of Pelham Mills, a cotton factory established in the 1880s, and architecturally as the only local example of the Queen Anne style. The mill village and mill ruins are located on the opposite bank of the Enoree River from the Barnwell House. The house is a two-and-one-half story wood frame residence supported by a brick pier foundation. Its irregular plan features two two-story polygonal bays projecting opposite each other on the northeast and southwest elevations and a one-story kitchen ell projecting from the northwest elevation. The house is sheathed in shiplap siding and has a steep gable roof. Exterior decorative features include white-painted horizontal and vertical boards contrasting with the yellow siding, which serve to define and delineate the fenestration of the first and second stories. Two interior and one exterior brick chimneys are located on the main block of the house. The roofing is modern composition shingle over the original metal roof. Located a short distance north of the house is a large barn featuring a raised brick foundation with common bond and round arch ventilation openings, mortise and tenon frame construction, a cross gable roof with monitor, weatherboard and shingle wall covering, and a raised seam metal roof. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.
ArhturBarnwellHouseintGreenville Countydestinyunknown, from
walls and staircases