E.W. Cannon House
The E.W. Cannon House and Store are significant as representative examples of the residential and commercial development of Hartsville prior to 1890 and for their association with Elihu W. Cannon (1841-1911), prominent Hartsville farmer and Darlington County politician. The house has architectural integrity from ca. 1880 and incorporates a small one-story ca. 1840 residence built for Isham Linton that now serves as a rear wing. Cannon substantially altered and enlarged the house ca. 1880, and lived here until his death. This two-story residence is of frame construction with weatherboard siding. It has a rectangular plan, lateral gable roof, and two interior ridge brick chimneys with corbeled caps. A one-story hip roof porch extends across the full façade. The store is located to the rear of the house. Constructed ca. 1870, it is an excellent example of a country store. It is one-and-one-half stories with a rectangular plan and gable roof. The construction is hand-hewn heavy timber frame with log joists and it sits on pole piers. It also served as a post office from 1873 to 1878, when Cannon was Hartsville’s postmaster. The property also includes a ca. 1930 frame garage and a ca. 1880-1900 frame smokehouse. Listed in the National Register May 3, 1991.
Darlington County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCannonHouseStoredestinyunknown, from