West Side Institution
During a trip to visit family over Labor Day weekend, we walked past this vintage, drive-in restaurant sign. The sign has fallen into disrepair since the restaurant closed in 2003. Red Lion first opened in 1921 and served chili dogs, amongst other fast food favorites, to the west side of Grand Rapids for nearly 84 years. The area is the midst of a building boom and it seems unlikely the sign will make it. While we were photographing it, three different people came up to tell us stories about how important it had been to them growing up in the neighborhood.
Grand RapidsMichiganWest SideVintageFast FoodSignNeonRed LionRed HotsHamburgerChiliDogsPatton PhotographyPatton Photography, LLC, from