Birthplace of President Grover Cleveland
Grover Cleveland’s birthplace was built in 1832 as the Manse, or Pastor’s residence, for the first Presbyterian Church at Caldwell. Cleveland’s father, the Reverend Richard Falley Cleveland, was the minister here from 1834-1841.
Originally, this frame house had a two story main section with a one-story kitchen to the east and a one-story lean-to at the rear. It was enlarged several times between 1848-1870 to meet the growing needs of the Presbyterian clergy. The house is a good example of local vernacular architecture.
The historical significance of the Manse was first noted in 1881 when Cleveland was running for Governor of New York. As his political star ascended, so did the interest in preserving his birthplace as a museum. A group of Cleveland’s friends and admirers began negotiations to purchase the Manse in 1907. Their efforts culminated in the opening of the house to the public on March 18, 1913.
President Grover ClevelandEssex CountyNew JerseyHistoric SiteNJJerseyThe Garden StateDaniel Beards, from
Beautiful New Jersey