Carn Brea Castle (a grade II listed building) stands near the top of the hill. It is built on the site of a chapel built in 1379 probably dedicated to St Michael. The castle was built in the 18th century by the Basset family as a hunting lodge. It is considered to be a folly built on the huge uncut boulders that make up part of its foundations, giving the impression of the building melting into the land. Since the 1980s the Castle has been used as a restaurant trading as “Carn Brea Castle Restaurant”.