Mumbles Pier, Swansea, Wales - August 24, 2015
Mumbles Pier is an 835 feet (255 m) long Victorian pier built in 1898 located at the south-western corner of Swansea Bay near the village of Mumbles within the city and county of Swansea, Wales.
Designed by W. Sutcliffe Marsh and promoted by John Jones Jenkins of the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway, the pier opened on 10 May 1898 at a cost of £10,000. It was the western terminus for the world's first passenger carrying railway, the Swansea and Mumbles Railway; and was once a major terminal for P and A Campbell’s White Funnel Steamers which brought visitors from ports and piers around the Bristol Channel.
In recent years the Pier Head has been reconstructed to include a new multi million pound lifeboat station constructed to house a large Tamar Class lifeboat operated by the RNLI.
The remainder of the pier remains to be restored.