Tribute To The Cow Cavalry
Florida is known as a transplant haven for retirees and folks looking for a warmer client. Because of this many don't think of Florida as a southern state. While this may be true of the coastal areas, the spine of the state is home to old Florida families proud of their southern heritage.
During the United States' Civil War the Confederate Army called on Florida to provide cattle, hogs and other supplies vital to the war effort. Moving these animals north was hard and dangerous work as bears, panthers and humans would spook the animals and kill strays. To protect the caravans the Confederate Army created the "Cow Cavalry" in 1864. Many of the members of these special units were either too old or two young to serve in the regular army.
A monument to local men who served in the "Cow Cavalry" is located outside the old Plant City High School in Plant City, Florida. The school now serves as a community center and is a federal registered historic site.