Where the rivers flow #2
Stylized HDR photograph of the majestic ruin of the grain storage facility of the Modlin Fortress in Poland.
Construction of the grain storage for the Modlin Fortress started in 1832 and was completed in 1844. This beautiful neo-renaisssance building was designed by a renowned architect Jan jakub Gaya and is located on a narrow promontory between Vistula and Narew rivers. Oiginally designed as a storage facility could also be used in a defensive role.
Despite serious damage suffered in 1939 (and in post-war years when it was decided to demolish the building in order to recover building material) it is still a majestic site and a joy to look at.
What remains today is practically just a half of the original facility but it's still huge. Wide stairs lead from the gate straight down to the river where once barges unloaded their cargoes.