RANCHO BOCA DE SANTA MONICA 1839
THE PASCUAL MARQUEZ FAMILY CEMETERY
The cemetery stands on the 1839 Rancho Boca de Santa Monica, a Mexican land grand of 6,656 acres to Francisco Marquez and Ysidro Reyes for a cattle ranch. Here Francisco built the first permanent home in Santa Monica Canyon, and later established a family cemetery. In 1916, Francisco’s son Pascual became the last of approximately 30 family and friends buried here. The Santa Monica Land & Water Company subdivided the Canyon’s upper mesa in 1926. Dorothy Gillis Loomis, daughter of the developer, preserved the cemetery, hired architect John Byers to build the adobe wall, and acquired the wooden statue of San Lorenzo for the wall’s niche.
SANTUARIO SAN LORENZO
In 2011, the neighborhood, family and friends of the Rancho donated funds to La Senora Research Institute, a nonprofit devoted to Rancho era history, to acquire the lot in front of the cemetery as a permanent reminder of Santa Monica Canyon’s colorful history, and to place this plaque.
City of Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Monument #685
Est. 2000 and 2011
Santa Monica CanyonPascual MarquezcemeterySan LorenzoSanta MonicahistoryRancho Boca de Santa MonicaBob Marlowe, from
Pascual Marquez Cemetery