Annandale Plantation, originally named Millbrook, the site of the first tide-operated rice mill constructed in the state (ca. 1792), is one of South Carolina’s finest remaining examples of the rice-plantation era. During the 1850s, Annandale was among the most prosperous of the rice plantations, working approximately 230 slaves and producing 900,000 pounds of rice. Andrew Johnston’s father bequeathed the property to him, and he built the present plantation house in 1833. At that time he renamed the property Annandale after the birthplace of his ancestors in Annandale, Scotland. This two story Greek Revival structure, c.1833, is an excellent example of its style and period, and the giant-order quasi-Tuscan portico sets it off splendidly. The vent in the pediment is a later addition. A rear addition was skillfully integrated into the existing structure ca. 1880; an additional wing to the north was constructed in 1966. All interior moulding details in the front of the house are original. They include the paneled doors, window frames and sills, and beaded baseboards. Window and door frame treatments use square corner blocks, into which are carved acanthus leaves. Situated in a grove of live oaks and landscaped gardens, Annandale includes two existing outbuildings: a slave cabin which has been converted into a recreation building and the plantation-doctor’s house, now a residence. Listed in the National Register October 25, 1973.
Georgetown County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAnnandalePlantationdestinyunknown, from