North Parramatta, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bidjigal Reserve - 186 hectares of wonderful bushland occupying much of what is now The Hills Shire. Officially created on 4 Dec 2003, by combining the Darling Mills State Forest with a large section of Excelsior Park.
Named for the Bidjigal people who originally inhabited this area.
This structure is the remaining section of the Darling Flour Mills (named for Sir Ralph Darling, Governor of NSW), steam-powered mills built in 1825 for John Raine. The site was later used by the Sydney Woollen Mills, who operated here from 1870-1975. The building was demolished around 1985, to make way for the Bunnings (hardward store) which is there now.
NB : the adjacent 'Darling Mills Creek' takes its name from this mill.
AustraliaBidjigal ReserveNSWNew South WalesNorth ParramattaSydneycar parkdemolishedScott Andrew Bird, from
North Parramatta : Site of Darling Flour Mills