Corinthian capital from the Lorch Column, ca. 1897
D208-2013 Detail of the Lorch Column, Corinthian capital.
Quoting from http://www.public-art.umich.edu/the_collection/campus/north/22
"Acquired through the efforts of Emil Lorch. The Corinthian column was made for the Home Office Building of the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company of Newark, NJ, but was never installed on the building. Gift of Colonel William Starrett (class of 1897E) of New York. The truncated column was originally installed in the courtyard of Lorch Hall (the original home of the College of Architecture; see second thumbnail). In 2007, the column was moved to North Campus, mounted on a tall base, with a steel element inserted to raise the column to what would have been its original height had it been installed on a building"
Taken July 27, 2013; processed October, 2015
Located North Campus, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan