36 The Sickener / Russula emetica
Photo taken on 14 August 2010 and posted on Flickr on 16 August 2010.
I LOVE it when someone has "picked" a mushroom - then I can photograph it without any guilt : ) Went with a handful of friends to Brown-Lowery Provincial Park on 14th August and we came across a wonderful display of these gorgeous, vibrant fungi. As the name implies, this fungus is poisonous.
"Russula emetica, commonly known as The Sickener, is a basidiomycete mushroom of the genus Russula, one of many species with a predominantly red-coloured cap and white gills and stalk. It gets its common name from its inedibility, as it causes vomiting and diarrhea when consumed. It has an extremely peppery taste, which is said partly to disappear on cooking, along with its toxicity, though eating it is not recommended. Mixing one emetica with otherwise edible red Russula will ruin the whole meal, and it is a common reason some do not pick any Russula-species." From Wikipedia.
AlbertaCanadasouthern AlbertaBrownLowery Provincial Parksouth west of Calgarynaturemycologyfungusfungimushroommushroomsred capwhite stalkThe SickenerRussula emeticaPOISONOUSmacrocloseupforestimagephotodigitalcolor imagesquaresquare cropbeauty in naturevibrantPanasonic DMCFZ35DMCFZ35FZ35LumixpointandshootP1130865 FZ35annkelliottAnne ElliottAnne Elliott, from