The harbour is sheltered by the grade II listed east and west piers each with a lighthouse and beacon with fixed lights. The west lighthouse, of 1835, is the taller at 84 feet (25.5 m) and the east lighthouse, built in 1855, is 54 feet (16.5 m) high. On the west pier extension is a foghorn that sounds a blast every 30 seconds during fog.
Whitby Lighthouse, operated by Trinity House, is located outside the town, to the south east, on Ling Hill.
scarboroughscarboroughharbourwhitbywhitbyharbourfileynorthyorkshiresandsendcoastalseascapeseastcoastwhitbypierfishingboatsfishermenwavesflamboroughbridlingtonbridlington harbourrobinhoodsbayfileybriggsouthbayhayburnwykeravenscarbemptoncliffslighthouseHoward Cooper, from