Church of Santissimo Crocifisso, Castello di Calatabiano.
Castello di Calatabiano. Church of Santissimo Crocifisso.
The Church of Santissimo Crocifisso, situated 30 metres below the Castle, opened on 4 March 1484, has late Gothicforms, a massive Bell Tower with battlements and two ogival entrance portals on the West and South. On the facade there is an inscription bearing the date of the opening of the building by the Bishop Euphemius.
The castle was built by the Arabs and later rebuilt by the Normans. For its great military importance Swabians and Aragonese made defensive improvements there. To the family of the Cruyllas family you have enlargement that brought the fortress to the current size. Of greatest interest are the portal of entry, consisting of a pointed arch of sandstone and lava rock, and the "Hall of the Cruyllas family," divided symmetrically from a lava stone Ashlar which bears the insignia of the family. In the highest part of the male is an emergency exit on the steeper slope and hardly accessible del monte. Only a few ruins remain of the village abandoned in 1693. The Castle has been renovated and has become a popular destination for tourists. The restructuring has led to the creation of bars, pizzerias and conference rooms inside the Castle built in a modern style. The Castle, situated on a high Hill, 220 m above sea level, is reached by a winding road or via a cable car built during the restoration of the Castle. Even today there are projects for the improvement of the Castle and archaeological excavations that lead new exhibits dating back to previous eras.
sicilyitalycastello di calatabianocastlechurch of santissimo crocifissowiremoon, from