The fortress (or a citadel) in Hvar town, perched on a hill above the old town was built at the beginning of the 16th century (in the time of Venice). In 1579 it was restored after explosion of powder-chamber. Its final appearance came after many reconstructions. During French rule some additional reinforcement building was done. The barracks and observation post were built during Austrian rule. It hosts a prominent collection of amphorae and other objects from the ancient times and the Middle Ages. This fortress dominates over the city. There is a beautiful panorama view of the town of Hvar and Pakleni Islands from the fortress.
From Hvar island