Balls Head Reserve, Waverton, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Entrance to the Sydney Coal Bunkering Company's coal loading site. Coal was transferred to the top of an adjacent building, and poured down holes into coal skips in tunnels below. The skips travelled along rail lines to the nearby bunkering wharf, where the coal was loaded into waiting steamers.
Built in 1917 (and only closed in 1992), it was easily the most advanced operation of its type in the Southern Hemisphere.