The 45 metre tower was constructed sometime in 1816 by the owner, Alejo Maria Iznaga y Borrell.
The height and magnificence of the tower served to display Iznaga's power over his slaves and his stature in the sugar industry and local society; at one time it was the tallest structure in Cuba.
A recognised landmark of the region, the Iznaga Tower testifies to the area's flourishing material culture in the Spanish colonial period.
According to experts, the bell that formerly hung on top of the tower announced the beginning and the end of the work day for the slaves, as well as the times for prayers to the Holy Virgin in the morning, midday and afternoon. It was also used to sound an alarm in case of fire or slave escape.
The e large bell now rests at the foot of the tower.