Grain Belt Beer was first introduced in 1893 and was brewed by the Minneapolis Brewing Company in the original brewery--a short distance north on the Mississippi River from where this image was taken--until 1976. The depicted Grain Belt beer sign is a Minneapolis icon. The porcelain sign was constructed in 1941 and moved to its present location on Nicollet Island in 1950. The sign has more than 800 feet of neon tubing, which was only relit a few months ago. The sign is reflecting into the Mississippi River on a calm, cold March morning shortly before sunrise while people crossed the Hennepin Avenue Bridge on their way to work.