Stars and Lower Fox Creek School-1, Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve
The evening sky reveals stars over the Lower Fox Creek Schoolhouse located in the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in the Kansas Flint Hills. The school, on the National Historic Register of Historic Places, was built on land donated by cattleman Stephen F. Jones. Built in 1882, the one-room school had its first classes in 1884. Typical enrollment was between one to 19 students of all grades. The school was closed in 1930 and restored in 1968 by the Garden Clubs in the Mid-East District of Kansas. The glowing light on the right is from the city of Emporia some 20 miles away to the east. The 10,894-acre Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is located in Chase County near the towns of Strong City and Cottonwood Falls. Less than four percent of the original 140 million acres of tallgrass prairie remains in North America. Most of the remaining tallgrass prairie is in the Flint Hills in Kansas. Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is the only unit of the National Park Service dedicated to the preservation of the tallgrass prairie ecosystem. The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is co-managed with The Nature Conservancy.
AmericaChase CountyDepartment of the InteriorFlint HillsFlint Hills National Scenic BywayFox CreekHighway 177Hwy 177K177KansasKansas Highway 177Kansas State Highway 177Lower Fox Creek SchoolLower Fox Creek School HouseLower Fox Creek SchoolhouseNPSNational Park ServiceNorth AmericaPopulusPopulus deltoidesSpring Hill Farm and Stock RanchTAPRTallgrass Prairie National PreserveThe Nature ConservancyU.S.USUSAUnited StatesUnited States of AmericaZ Bar Ranchbuildingcalmcottonwooddark skydeciduouseastern cottonwoodflorahistorichistoricalhorizontallandscapesnatural lightscapenaturenightnight skiesnight skyoneroom schoolhouseoutdoorsplacidplantplantsprotected landquietrestfulsceneryscenicschoolschool houseschoolhousesereneskiesskystarstarlightstarry skystarsstilltranquiltraveltravel destinationtreeJay Gifford, from