Old Artillery Elevation Control
Battery Gunnison located at Sandy Hook, New Jersey was built in 1903 as a twin six inch gun battery to protect the entrance to New York harbor from enemies. In 1942 the battery was altered to accept two six inch pedestal mounted guns along with the addition of two shell hoists and a plotting room. The battery was renamed Battery New Peck after the modification because the two six inch guns were transferred from Battery Peck.
elevationgearssandy hooknew jerseyartilleryarmybattery gunnisonbattery new peckarmamentgungunsbunkerdefenseprotectprotectionmilitaryhistoricrestoredoldgateway national parknational park serviceUSUnited Statescontrolclose upcloseupmeshhistorypowersecuritystrengthstructuregmsimages, from