The Wallis "Cub",
The Wallis "Cub", introduced in early 1914, was the first tractor built by the company to use the patented U-shaped steel frame. When first advertised the Cub carried a 15-25 hp rating and weighed 7,500 pounds, but by 1916 it was listed as a 26-44 hp tractor with a weight of 8,365 pounds. As on the "Bear", the engine was a four-cylinder T-head design with the cylinders cast in pairs. The bore and stroke were 6 x 7 in, the normal operating speed was 650 rpm and the crankshaft was supported by five bearings. The tractor could be run on kerosene or gasoline, and was fitted with a Bennett Model XX carburettor and K-W magneto with impulse starter. A centrifugal water pump and cellular radiator with belt-drive fan took care of cooling, while lubrication was via a gear-type pump located near the bottom of the crankcase at the rear of the engine. Two forward speeds and one reverse were provided, and power was transmitted to the 60 inch rear wheels via internal bull gears. Early illustrations of the Cub show round-spoke wheels, but it seems these were soon replaced with a flat-spoke design.